TURBOdesign Pre is a 1D sizing code for the preliminary design and analysis of various turbomachinery components.
TDPre allows users to quickly get a meridional contour for a specified turbomachine, which can be radial, axial and mixed flow type. It requires only a few inputs of hydro/aerodynamic parameters and geometric constraints. It can also be used to perform parametric studies to understand how the input parameters affect the stage performances.
Basic features of TDPre
- It has a number of loss models designated to each component to calculate their meridional shapes.
- It provides detailed geometric and flow related information for each component in a well-organised report format.
- It can export the calculated meridional geometry as B-Spline control points to integrate with other TURBOdesign Suite modules, such as Turbodesign1 and TURBOdesign Optima for more advanced 3D designs and optimisations.
How to use it
- Input the design specs and fluid properties, such as the target pressure/expansion ratio for a compressor/turbine, head for a pump, mass flow rate, fluid density, total pressure, temperature at the inlet.
- Impose the geometric constraints such as inlet hub diameter, axial length, tip clearance, and blade thickness at trailing edge.
- The number of blades, inlet shroud diameter, impeller exit diameter, back sweep angle and inlet flow angles are optional input parameters. They can be easily varied to see the effects on the performances.
What you can get
- A complete set of geometric and flow-related data for the entire stage and each constituent component, including inlet and outlet velocity triangles, power, efficiency, estimated choke margin, rVt*, and etc.
- Text files containing the hub and shroud coordinates in the meridional plane for impeller blades, vaned diffusers, and volute cross-sections.
- A predicted map for centrifugal compressors in terms of pressure ratio and efficiency and all the data can be exported into a well-organised .csv file.
TDPre is capable to design centrifugal compressors, radial inflow turbines, centrifugal fans, centrifugal pumps and mixed flow pumps.
- Turbocharger stage design. It is particularly useful for the initial optimisation of a turbocharger stage aiming at finding the best configuration of a compressor and turbine wheel. Its unique analysis code allows designers to investigate the off-design conditions and get a characteristic map in a few seconds.
- Centrifugal fan
- Centrifugal pump
- mixed flow-pump